Name: Walter Mzembi
Date of Birth: 16 March 1964
Marital Status: Married
LANGUAGES SPOKEN AND HOBBIES
Languages: English and Shona
Hobbies: Reading and listening to current Affairs
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
1. Doctorate Degree in Business Management (Aldersgate University College), Philippines (2015);
Research based Doctoral Degree Topic: An exploratory study of Conservation Management in Zimbabwe: A Governance Perspective.
2. Master of Business Administration and Production Management (Azteca), Mexico (2013);
3. Bachelor of Business Administration (Azteca), Mexico (2011);
4. Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (Northern Technical College), Zambia (1988);
1. Fellow of the Zimbabwe Institution of Engineers since 2011
2. Registered Professional Engineer (Engineering Council of Zimbabwe)
3. Member of the Zimbabwe Institute of Engineers
4. Member of the Engineering Council of Zambia
5. Accredited International Speaker: London Speakers Bureau
6. Academician Member of Honor: European Council on Tourism and Trade (European Tourism Academy), Bucharest, Romania
7. Current Board Member on the Berlin (German) based Institute of Cultural Diplomacy
PORTFOLIOS AND ASSIGNMENTS
1. Current Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Zimbabwe From Oct 2017 to date
2. Current Member of Parliament for Masvingo South Constituency 2004 to date
3. Former Minister of Tourism & Hospitality Industry 2009 - Oct 2017
4. Former Deputy Minister of Water Resources and Development 2006 - 2008
5. Marketing Director Agro-Venture (Agro Industry) 1998 - 2000
6. General Manager, Stewarts and Lloyds (Water Engineering) 1994 - 1997
7. Divisional Engineer, Mitchell Cotts Engineering (Mining) 1991 – 1994
8. Area Manager-Total Zimbabwe: Management Development Program 1990 – 1997
9. Inspector of Mines (Government of Zimbabwe) 1988 – 1989
10. Former Chairman, Parliamentary Committee:- Agriculture, Lands Resettlement Committee 2004-2006
11. Head of Delegation to the Joint Parliamentary Assembly, ACP-EU, Brussels 2004-2006
INTERNATIONAL POSITIONS HELD
1. Southern Africa Development Community Committee of Responsible Tourism Ministers
2. United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) Executive Council Member (2009-2013)
3. United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) Regional Commission for Africa Chairperson (2013 to 2017)
4. United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) Co-President in Session: 20 Session UNWTO General Assembly (2013-2015)
4. Three times President of Africa Travel Association (New York Based)
ACHIEVEMENTS: - INTERNATIONAL HONORS
1. African Tourism Minister of the Year (2011): African Investor Tourism Investment Awards
2. Africa Leadership Awards (2012), Mauritius
· Brand Leadership Award (2012)
· Mark of Excellence Award (2012)
· Africa Leadership and Inspiration Award (2012)
3. Africa Travel Association-Outstanding Service to the Association (2012), U. S. A
4. Africa Travel Association Presidency Appreciation Award (2012-2014), U. S. A
5. Special Recognition for Excellence Award: African Achievers Awards (2012), Nairobi, Kenya
6. TouchRoad Sino - Africa Investment Excellence Awards (2011), Shanghai, China
1. Public Service Manager of the Year (2011), Zimbabwe Institute of Management
2. Tourism Personality of the Year (2011), Hospitality Association of Zimbabwe
3. Tourism Personality of the Year (2012), Zimbabwe Council for Tourism-,
4. Outstanding Contribution to Agriculture in Zimbabwe (2012), Zimbabwe Farmers Union
5. Most Consumer Focused Executive-Service Excellence Awards (2014), Customer Contact Centre
6. Exceptional Contribution to Marketing (2015), Marketers Association of Zimbabwe
7. Tourism Image Builder of the Year (2014), Megafest Tourism Awards
8. Customer Service Executive of the Year-Service Excellence in the Public Sector (2015), Marketers Association of Zimbabwe.
LEGACY INITIATIVES AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
· Successfully positioned tourism as an economic pillar at National, regional and continental level.
· Effectively leading efforts to seek Tourism Policy and Structural accommodation at the African Union (AU) within the context of Agenda 2063 and the AU Restructuring process, leading to the formulation of a Continental Tourism Policy.
· Delegate to the 26 AU Summit and the Ministerial Retreat, and presented on African Tourism which was escalated to the Summit.
· Successfully hosted the 20 Session of the UNWTO General Assembly in 2013 co-hosted by Zimbabwe and Zambia.
· Authored a concept note accepted by the UNWTO Secretariat on Tourism and Biodiversity: Zero
Tolerance to Poaching in Africa by 2020 (culminated in the commissioning of a study on Towards Measuring the Economic Value of Wildlife Watching Tourism in Africa).
· Leveraged tourism as a tool for international re-engagement and people to people diplomacy.
· Effectively positioned Tourism in the academic and research mindset with notable public lectures
at home and abroad including presentations to Oxford University, Ohio State University, New York University, the Institute of Cultural Diplomacy in Berlin, Chatham House, Corporate Council for Africa-USA and several regional and local academic institutions.
1. An Investigation of the opportunities for diversification and development of rural livelihoods provided by conservation management in Zimbabwe: The Case of communities adjacent to Hwange National Park, Victoria Falls and the Save Valley Conservancies in Zimbabwe June 2016: Published by International Journal of Humanities and Social Studies: www.theijhss.com).
2. Understanding the impact of Human Wildlife Conflicts in Conservation Management: The Case of Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe 0une 2016: Published by the International Journal of Innovative Research & Development: www.ijird.com (DOAJ (Directory of Open Access journals), BASE - Germany, Ulrich's - USA, Open J-Gate - India, ORJI (Directory of Research journal Indexing) and Elektronische Zeitschriftenbibliothek EZB - Germany).
3. Tourism and Biodiversity: Zero Tolerance to Poaching in Africa by 2020 (A strategic Policy Concept
Accepted by the UNWfO Secretariat and culminated in tha commissioning of a study on Towards Measuring the Economic Value of Wildlife Watching Tourism in Africa).
4. Tourism and the War on Terror: Unique Perspective (www.eturbonews.com/67605/tourism-and-war-terrorunique- perspective-sittingminist er-touri): eTN Global Travel Industry News, Published Jan 15 2016.
5. An exploratory study of Conservation Management in Zimbabwe: A Governance Perspective (Thesis written for an Award of a Doctoral Degree by Aldersgate University College, Philippines).
6. Using a Market Share Approach towards Tourism Planning for Millennial Travelers: Implications for
Evidenced Based Practice (Feb 2017: The International Journal of Business Management. www.theijbm.com).